Wednesday, October 17, 2018

1978 Was a Good Year


Today is the day for Ready? Set? Go! These extreme challenges are between friends - Kelly, Barb, and myself. We have a lot of fun and hope you enjoy seeing what we make.

This month it was my turn to come up with the theme.  

Here's the theme:


I got my first pair of glasses in 1978. I was amazed at the things I could see that had been hidden from me in the previous months without me even knowing it. For instance, my Mom and I were driving home from a trip to the store and I looked across the horizon and commented on seeing the “arm” of the coal-mining crane that was a few miles away. It had been there all along, but my distance sight had not been sharp enough to see it.

My Ready, Set, Go! Challenge for October is going to require a little research on your part. I want you to search for facts/trivia/etc. from the year 1978 and then to take something you discover about that year and use it in some way on the card you make.

The price of a postage stamps was 15 cents… so use a total of 15 items on your card (including layers of paper, embellishments, etc.)

Miss Hawaii became Miss USA in 1978… so make a Hawaii-themed card.

The top song in 1978 was Night Fever by the Bee Gees… so make a nighttime card.

There were massive teacher strikes that year that resulted in extended summer holidays for thousands of students… maybe a summer card, or a teachers/education card??? 

You get the idea. So... do your research and get Ready, Set, Go!


I did some research and found these ideas for my own card:

Ben and Jerry opened their first ice cream shop in Burlington Vermont.

98% of all American homes have a television.

Illinois Bell Company introduces first ever Cellular Mobile Phone System.

A powerful magnitude 6.5 earthquake hits Thessaloniki, Greece.

I decided to go with this one - After nearly 30 years The Volkswagen Beetle stops production having manufactured 20 million cars. (I had to... because when I met my husband he drove a VW Beetle - an orange convertible. And now I drive a VW, but not a Beetle. Hot Sauce is a pretty red Jetta!)







Be sure to head over to Barb's blog and Kelly's blog to see their Ready? Set? Go! cards, too!



Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


Die: Lea'bilities Car/Beetle sponged with Ranger Distress Inks

Stamp: Studio G Journey stamped with Memento Paris Dusk Ink

Papers: Recollections Blue and 110# White and SU So Saffron CS and DP from my scrap file

Embellishments: Foof-a-La Button and Ribbon from my scrap file

5 comments:

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Really neat coloring on the car. It is a fun card, for sure.

Barb said...

Jeanette--your card just makes me smile. I can just see your hubby sweeping you off of your feet in his convertible! The colors are too cute. Thanks for a great challenge this month!

MiamiKel said...

Woohoo! Tony’s first car was also a VW beetle but it was white and a dinosaur !! He graduated college right after it finally stopped and his grandparents gifted him with a Porsche! Anyway - what a fun card and a wonderful sentiment to go with it ! I had to look twice to see that it was a die I thought it was a stamp image yes it is that good !
Fun card - fun theme this month!

Donna said...

What a great challenge! Love your card and all the fun facts you found out about 1978. I've never had a VW Beetle but I always thought they were cute.

Lynn McAuley said...

I so love this fabulous card, Jeanette. I remember many a road trip where we entertained ourselves by counting beetles. And a yellow one: BONUS!! Oh, for the more simple times of 1978!