Tuesday, April 4, 2017

A Myth and an Experiment


NOTE: This is my second post today. If you're here to see my Try Something New post, click HERE or just keep scrolling. It's the post after this one.


I've often heard it said that it takes 21 days to develop a habit. Sounds good, right? If I exercise for 21 days, it will become a natural habit to exercise. If I clean the bathrooms every morning for 21 days, I will automatically clean the bathroom every morning from then on. If I give up carbonated drinks for 21 days, I'll no longer crave that beverage.

Okay, I can tell you for a fact... that last one is wrong! A few years ago I worked hard to lose weight. One of the things I gave up was Pepsi. (I was addicted to Pepsi!) It took me literally months - many MANY MONTHS - to get over that craving.

Sooooo... what about this 21 days to develop a habit theory? I did some research and discovered that it is a myth. In fact, it started with a plastic surgeon named Maxwell Maltz, back in the 50's. He noticed that his patients took A MINIMUM of 21 days to adjust to the changes in their looks after surgery or to stop having what he called "phantom limb" after having an amputation. He did some personal research and in the 60's actually wrote a book on his discoveries.

Fast forward and others, reading his research, deemed that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit.  Which, of course, is not at all what Maxwell Maltz had said.

But it stuck.

Why am I telling you all of this? Because, I've decided to do a little experiment of my own.

You might remember that last month I participated in the Daily Marker's 30 Day Coloring Challenge. I had fun doing that - but truthfully it was fairly easy for me to color daily since I already had been coloring at least 20-25 days a month for quite some time.

I. love. to. color.

And I love to make cards!

But I also want to develop as a Bible Journaler... NOT just the look/skill of my Bible Journaling (since it's really not about the finished product but about digging deeper into my Bible and developing my relationship with God). I tend to be somewhat sporadic about Bible Journaling... and I want to be more consistent.

Therefore I'm going to do my own little experiment... I'm going to do my own personal 21-Days of Bible Journaling Challenge. Starting today and going through April 24th, I am going to Bible Journal EVERY SINGLE DAY. (I'm actually going to do the BIBLE Journaling on the 3rd through the 23rd, but will post to my blog on a next-day delay, to make it easier for me to get posts written, pictures taken, etc.)

To keep myself accountable, I am going to post a picture of my daily Bible Journaling on my blog. (I'll also put it on Pinterest, on Facebook and on Instagram) EEK! Talk about scaring me silly!!! That's going to be the really tough part... because honestly often times my Bible Journaling attempts of the past have not made the cut - they've not been blog-worthy. But for this challenge... you'll have the opportunity to see my failed attempts as well as the ones I'm more proud.

Will you follow me on this journey toward 21-Days of Bible Journaling? Perhaps you'd even like to play along. If so, I'd love to see YOUR Bible Journaling, too... so email me (jeanettecloyd@yahoo.com) or post a link in the comments so I can be inspired by your Bible Journaling, too.

Okay, let's get started.


Bible Journaling 21-Day Challenge
Day 1


Matthew 15:22-36

In this passage Peter was able to walk on water as long as his eyes were on Jesus, but when he became fearful of the storm around him and lost his focus, he could no longer walk on water. That's such a visual story for us. If we keep our eyes on Jesus He will enable us to do amazing things.




Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


Supplies Used

Image: Peachy Keen Clowning Around Faces stamped with Lawn Fawn Ink and colored with Copic Markers
Letters: Illustrated Faith
Tab: Illustrated Faith
Waves: from an unknown vendor

5 comments:

c-mouse said...

Nicely done. And great reminder as well.

:: BlueInks :: said...

What a great self challenge and it is awesome you are going to share it.

As with anything, I think that the 21 days are made easier as you get in the groove of doing that 'thing' you are doing. It is easier to paper craft every day, than just once a month.

It does not seem as awkward. Your mind thinks of different ways to accomplish a challenge. Measurements come easier. How do I know this? Yep, paper crafting once per month! LOL

Just like your entry today, if you focus on the content, you will breeze through the challenge!

kiwimeskreations said...

Great idea Jeanette, and a great project too. I have a journaling Bible I have just bought, but at this point I am only doing small sketches and prayers/notes in the margins - I have difficulty journaling in such a way that the text is obliterated and not able to be used for another read through at a later date. But each to their own and if that takes the artist closer to the Lord, then well and good.
Blessings
Maxine

Shelly Schmidt said...

I will enjoy your process, and maybe try once a week! I think it would take me longer to get a journaling page done than a card, but maybe not..... And, I would make myself nuts with what mediums to use, etc..... Love the inspiration today (well, yesterday..hehehe) and look forward to seeing what you will do next!

Lynn McAuley said...

I am looking forward to seeing each and every one of your Bible pages, Jeanette! I am so glad you have started this 21 day challenge!