Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Mid-Week Joy Report


I'm not sure what I've done with all my time this week. It sure doesn't seem like I've accomplished all that much. I did some organizing and purging in my Working Studio - I like the changes. I studied some (working on an upcoming workshop I'll be leading). I finished reading my first joy-themed book. I cooked a little; cleaned even less. I did the laundry. I made 11 cards.

Yep, I'm feeling like a slacker this week.

But.... I've enjoyed my week, so that's a good thing, right?


* * * * *

This is the fifth week of 2017.... and I have created a card based on the fifth entry/chapter in the book "50 Truths Worth Knowing". I've really found this venture to be quite fun. I didn't know how it would work out when I started. I saw that book in the thrift store and the idea was born. I haven't read ahead. I read a chapter each week and then create based on it. I can't say every week will be easy, but I'm feeling more confident that I'll be able to keep up with this challenge for the 50 weeks it will take to complete the 50 chapters.

In chapter 5 Lara tells about something that happened in the creative arts class that she taught to third graders a number of years ago. A professional symphony had invited her students to participate in their "Carnival of the Animals" performance using original poetry and dance.

The parts were going to be chosen randomly, but that didn't keep Anthony from dreaming of what animal he wanted to be. Lara said he even resorted in trying to bribe his fellow third-graders so he could have the role he coveted - the "strong and mighty" elephant. They refused.

As the random drawing took place, Esperanza's name was paired with the elephant. Anthony was devastated. He moaned and even fell out of his chair dramatically. Then he reasoned - if he couldn't be the elephant, he wanted to be a lion.

That wasn't to be either. Instead, Anthony was given the role of swan. Swan? Swan?!?!?! Anthony was crushed.

But Lara was a good teacher and an even better encourager. She showed him the video "Swan Lake" and showed him how the dancers moved with strength and ease. He watched as they jumped and twirled and with Lara's help he realized swans were not weak creatures. In fact, they had something that elephants and lions didn't have. They had grace.

And Anthony learned how to be a graceful swan for the "Carnival of Animals".

I thought long and hard about this story. I could have made an elephant card, a lion card... or even a swan card. But instead I decided to make a card featuring a graceful dancer. I think she reminds me that sometimes we don't get to be (or do) what we'd most like to do, but we can work hard to become the best at whatever it is we do become. Ballerinas/dancers spend long strenuous hours practicing their art. It is not easy. But the outcome is worth the effort.

And I guess the question we have to ask ourselves is this - where are we investing our time ? Will we be an elephant? a lion? a swan? Will we dance? Whatever we do, let's do it well.



I decided to go very CAS with the image - since I honestly couldn't figure out how to color her outfit. LOL! Sometimes my lack of ability causes me to step out of my normal pattern. That's not a bad thing.



Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


Image: Paper Pretties Sophia Ballerina stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Cardstock: Recollections Black and Stampin' UP! Very Vanilla
Designer Paper: from my scrap file
Embellishments: Michael's Rhinestones

4 comments:

jimlynn said...

If you did all that and made 11 cards too, there's no way you could be considered a slacker. You need lessons on how to do that from me I'm afraid. LOL
Love your pretty card and that image/sentiment are fabulous.
Lynn

Shelly Schmidt said...

Beautiful story, and love your image- looks perfect just as it is! A great challenge for you- and I look forward to trying to kep up with your weekly postings : )

kiwimeskreations said...

Lovely story Jeanette - and a beautiful card as a result - the white layers against the black work wonderfully.
Blessings
Maxine

Lynn McAuley said...

Sorry that I have fallen so far behind! I have missed all these awesome creations! I love the story of the swan. I need to be a better cyber friend. I received 17 hand-crafted and stunning cards in recent days from my cyber buddies. These people are never farther away then the computer keyboard and with lots of hours to fill I know I can do better on fostering these friendships! Thanks for the wonderful card and beautiful words, Jeanette!