Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Mid-Week Joy Report


My word for 2017 is Joy, so I've renamed my Peek at My Week... it's now my Mid-Week Joy Report. Today is January 4th, so I've only had three days so far to focus on JOY. Already it seems to be a challenge, but I will persevere. LOL!

Joy is not just about the good times when things are going well. It's all the time. As Nancy Leigh DeMoss says in her book Choosing Gratitude, "In every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways: I can whine or I can worship!"

So, when we learned that our Brock (31-year-old autistic son) has an infection in one of his molars and he's going to have to see an oral surgeon to have the tooth removed, I decided not to whine... well, after I shed a tear or two, that is.

And when our daughter and her boyfriend leave for the airport this morning - and the planes that will take them back to the bush of Alaska - I will choose not to whine... though I again will probably shed a tear or two.

Joy!
It's a small word that has a big impact. 

It's not letting the circumstances dictate my attitude at any given moment, but letting how I respond to those circumstances define me.

One of the things that brought me great joy this week was watching my daughter's boyfriend as he experienced so many new things - see, he's from the bush of Alaska and until this trip to visit us, he'd never been out of Alaska. He'd never seen a cow, horse, pig, sheep, deer. He'd never eaten some of the foods we served. He'd never been to DQ, or Chipotle. He'd never flown on a huge plane. I loved seeing what he took pictures of and what he posted on Facebook. I loved hearing his thoughts about what he was seeing/experiencing. So many things we take for granted, I got to see through new eyes this week.

Another thing that brought me joy this week was some creative time - I made 8 cards this week.


* * * * *

One of the ways I've decided to challenge myself this year involves a book I found at a thrift store. (I'm hoping this is going to work; time will tell).


My plan is to read one of the "50 Truths" and then use it as a jumping point for creating a card. Today I'm going to show you my first one.

The first of the 50 Truths - "Love Can Endure Across Continents" - tells about a couple who had been dating for a while and had gotten quite close. The woman (Laura) had a Fulbright teaching scholarship that provided her the great opportunity to travel throughout India for nearly three months.  Tony encouraged her to embrace the opportunity. The two kept in touch as much as possible during those three months and their relationship withstood the separation of miles/time. they later married.

The card I created shows a little guy (okay, not quite looking like Laura) taking off in a plane. There was much to enjoy (sunshine) during the trip, but also some sadness (clouds) as the separation was not easy for Laura and Tony.




Thanks for stopping by my blog today!


SUPPLY LIST

Image: Art Impressions Panda Bear Slider Set (which includes the die) stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on Recollections 110# White Cardstock and colored with Copic Markers
Sentiment: Penny Black Good Wishes stamped with Gina K Black Onyx Ink
Embossing Folder: Stampin' UP! World Traveler
Sun: Gina Marie Stitched Sky Die and Dollar Tree Yellow Craft Foam
Cardstock: Recollections Black and Kraft and Stampin' UP! Buckaroo Blue 
Embellishment: Brad from an unknown vendor

2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Thank you for sharing how your choice to "choose Joy" has worked for you this week - despite the difficult times. I love your challenge to you self, and the resulting card is gorgeous!
Blessings
Maxine

Katydid Cards said...

I love that you chose "joy". I just had a conversation with a friend about that...we both said we're going to try to find more joy in day to day things. Take time to smell the roses. Live in the moment.

One thing that brings me joy is reading your blog. Always so engaging.