Sunday, January 1, 2017

Choosing Joy


For the past few (several?) years I've chosen a word of the year to focus on.

OneWord365 puts it this way... Choose just one word. Go where it takes you. Be who it makes you. Forget New Year's Resolutions. Scrap that long list of goals you won't remember a few weeks from now anyway! Choose just one word. One word you can focus on every day, all year long... One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live. It will take intentionality and commitment, but if you let it, your one word will shape not only your year, but also you. It will become the compass that directs your decisions and guides your steps. Discover the big impact one word can make. One word. 365 days. A changed life.

I wish I could remember how many years I've done this, but for some reason I don't have it documented  anywhere so I'm not sure. I will tell you my word for 2016 was Maximize... and it served me well.

Today being the first day of 2017, I have a new word of the year...



I actually chose this word about 6 weeks ago, which is rare for me. My selection usually takes place during the week between Christmas and New Year. But this year... I. just. knew. JOY had to be my word!


This is the day the Lord has made, 
let us rejoice and be glad in it. 
(Psalm 118:24, HCSB)

Rejoice always. 
(I Thessalonians 5:16, HCSB)


I will focus on joy in at least these four areas:

1. finding JOY in the Lord every day

2. finding JOY in my family/home

3. finding JOY in learning new things

4. finding JOY in prioritizing what's important in my life (and removing what's not important)


* * * * *

One of the things I'll do to help me stay focused on JOY this year is the way I do my weekly review post here on my blog. I'm going to revamp it a bit. It will now be called my Mid-Week Joy Report. I will try to focus on and highlight something/s JOYful in my life from that week.


* * * * *

I've also put together a list of JOY books I'd like to read. I narrowed the list down to 12 (which would be one per month). I'm pretty sure I won't purchase/read all 12, but it's a starting point for me...

My JOY Book Reading List

Choosing Joy: Your Journey to Joy (Nancy Leigh DeMoss) * I already own this book and it's by my most favorite women's Bible study leader, so I am pretty sure I'll be reading it.

The Happiness Dare (Jennifer Dukes Lee) * I also own this book.... so it's on my short list.

Books I don't yet own:

The Book of Joy (Dalai Lama)

Choose Joy: Finding Hope and Purpose When Life Hurts (Sara Frankl) * This one has a 5-star rating, so I'll probably make it one of the first ones I purchase

Choose Joy (Kay Warren)

Choosing Joy (Dan Lord)

Count It All Joy (Kathleen Murray) *** This one is the first book I'll be purchasing this year!

Finding Joy in What Really Matters (Ann Voskamp)

Patches of Joy (Velma Daniels)

Seven Things That Steal Your Joy (Joyce Meyer)

Surprised by Joy (C. S. Lewis) - this one is high on my list of "want to read JOY books"

What's Missing? Inspiration for Women Seeking Faith and Joy in Their Lives (Rena Pederson)


As always, thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog today! I appreciate you so much! 

You bring me great JOY!

3 comments:

Barb said...

This post just makes me smile--and I know that is a perfect word for you!

s.mcfeggan@gmail.com said...

Jeanette, that is beautiful. I know need to find my word. There are so many I could choose that would be appropriate but I will try. Thank you for your wisdom.

MiamiKel said...

What a stunning perfect word for you - as you truly do bring joy to those lives that you touch! Wonderful words to ring in the new year - and I look forward to your JOYful year ahead! Hugs!