Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Quirky November Holiday

I've been waiting and waiting and WAITING for today to arrive. Could hardly contain my excitement.I'm so glad it's here!!!

This is the 28th of November and that means it is the day for the Calendar Girls blog group to post their monthly creation. As you probably know, one of us hosts each month and comes up with a theme and we all create based on that theme. However, there are only 10 of us in the group, so November and December end up being "hostess-less" months. We kind of decide as a group what our theme will be.

This month the Calendar Girls decided to look for quirky/unusual holidays that happen in November and to create a card/project based on one of those holidays. Isn't that a cool idea?

In fact, I've had so much fun with this that I think I'll try to do it more often - just for the fun of it.

Okay, enough chatter.................. wanna know what my holiday is???


Here's a glimpse of my card to give you an idea:





World Toilet Day
November 19


How fun is that!?!?!?!?


Here's the whole toilet:




I actually purchased these stamps a couple of years ago, on one of my many road trips. I was on my way home from visiting my daughter (she lived in western Kansas at the time) and stopped in the Stamper's Ink store in the metropolitan Kansas City area. While there I found this toilet stamp and the stamp of a roll of toilet paper, and I don't know why... but they just had to come home with me. LOL! Today I know why.


Here's my card:



I know; you're surprised... but I didn't use any designer paper on this card. EEK! What's happening to me??? Instead I tried (very poorly, but I tried) to create my own cloudy sky paper. I punched a piece of scrap card stock with the large scalloped circle Stampin' UP! punch and used it as my template while sponging Bashful Blue ink onto white cardstock. It sort of worked. The "grass" is a piece of Garden Green cardstock. I tore the top edge for texture.



I added a roll of toilet paper to the card front (popped it up with pop dots), as well as to the inside of the card (which was stamped directly onto the cardstock).






I didn't have a suitable quote/sentiment for the inside, so I computer generated my own.






Anybody really want to go back to the good ol' days before indoor plumbing???



Now, let's go see what holidays the other Calendar Girls chose to highlight (I kind of doubt anyone else chose World Toilet Day, don't you?). You'll find the links to their blogs in my lefthand sidebar. Be sure to leave them a comment, it will make their day!



Images: Judith Stamps
Ink: Copic Markers, Memento Tuxedo Black and Stampin' UP! Bashful Blue
Cardstock: Recollections Black and Stampin' UP! Bashful Blue and Garden Green
Embellishment: Gingham Ribbon (vendor unknown)


15 comments:

April said...

Oh my liver! I love your holiday! I can't believe it is a holiday.... Mr. Crapper would be proud that you don't want to go back to days of old in this case!
You did a wonderful job creating your scene ~ love how your clouds roll!

MiamiKel said...

Hee hee ... your card is quite "Charmin" *smile!* A wee pun there, my friend! I actually remember this stamp from somewhere and think it's just super neat, very 'old school' and has a feel of the olden days! What a great concept to use this as a card (with the perfect paper, I just have to add!) LOVE the rounded corners - it gives your card so much more character! You were on a 'roll' with this card idea! hee hee! Okay, I'll stop :)

Big hugs to you my Calendar friend! x0x0

Barb said...

Jeanette--I think your card is so funny--and I am sure not surprised that you would buy this stamp/s

I love the White Clouds! I think you might see one of these in the Northern Cottonelle states! I bet the seat is not Angel Soft though? Kelly started it!

Thanks for being a Calendar Girl and for an interesting and fun theme this month!

jimlynn said...

LOL!! LOVE IT!! I think I also have this stamp - but really need the toilet paper to go with it now! So cute and your sky is over the top perfect!
Lynn

Athina said...

Who know there was a day for toilets. This is super cute! I love how you did the background of the card.

Terry Ladwig said...

Love the outhouse and the roll of TP images! It's amazing what you can find a rubber stamp of now!!

The card is very cool and the inside is so true!

Love it ☺

Carol W said...

Oh my goodness Jeanette....I love this card...Your clouds are amazing and I would've thought it was DSP if you wouldn't have ratted yourself out...lol...I do really love the card. Like Kelly, I think the rounded corners add alot to the card in terms of making this awesome image stand out...way to go my sweet friend...I am so blessed to be a Calendar girl with you...♥

Jacquel said...

Very cute card Jeanette! I love the shape & that ribbon you used! TFS!!!

~Paola~ said...

oh my! LOVE your immie!! It is absolutly funny and your card made me smile (and for that alone I thank you!)I also must say that when I read you didn;t use any DP I thought you must have made a mistake in writing...I SOOOO totally thought your beautiful puffy clouds sky was from a DP!!! wowww...hats off to you! Very well done....and then some!! Thank YOU for your wonderful suggestion this month Jeanette!!♥

:: BlueInks :: said...

Well, I am glad that your card is not a big blue pill and you chose 'that' holiday!

Instead you have a friggin' roll of TP! LOL L♥ve it!!!

kiwimeskreations said...

Jeanette this is fabulous - love the quirky humour you share via your cards :-).
Blessings
Maxine

Pam said...

I absolutely love this card!!! It is very appropriate for my area. The governor once called us the sh**house of Maryland. Outhouses have been very popular here ever since! I'm looking forward to joining you on the {PIN}spirational DT :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

Love, Love your card! With a name like Schmidt......I hear alot of jokes about this at Christmas time- No Rudolph...I said the Schmidt house! I gotta get an image like this!

dweatter said...

I love, love, love it! I almost picked this holiday too. The cloud paper and green CS for the grass are just right for this card and your coloring fabulous. Love the rolls of tp and the sentiment is perfect.

maryrose said...

Jeanette, this card is so fun! My husband always reminds me about the not-so-good ole days, too! LOL! Just too cute...love how you stamped inside as well!